More than 7,000 mines and explosive devices were removed in Yemen during October02/11/2020
On Sunday 01/11/2020, the director of the Saudi Project for Mine Clearance in Yemen (Masam) said that his engineering teams had extracted more than seven thousand mines, unexploded ammunition and explosive devices during last October.
The "Masam" account on "Twitter" quoted the project manager, Osama Al-Qusaibi, as saying that between 3 and 30 October, the project teams removed 7476 mines, unexploded ammunition and explosive devices.
Al-Qusaibi did not specify the places from which the mines and ammunition were extracted.
He added that the project teams were able last week to clear 250.105 square meters of Yemeni land.
For its part, the "Masam" operations room reported that, last week, project teams cleared 1,254 mines, 105 anti-tank mines, and 9 anti-personnel mines.
"Masam" says that the total number of mines cleared since the start of the project in June 2018 reached 189,197 mines in a number of Yemeni regions.
Mines planted by the warring parties in Yemen have claimed the lives of thousands of Yemenis, in addition to tens of thousands of seriously injured and amputated organs.
Reports by local and international organizations indicate that Yemen has witnessed the largest land-bombing operation since the end of World War II.
Observers believe that these mines will pose a serious threat to the lives of innocent people for many years in the future, even if the war stops and the parties reach a political settlement, as a result of planting them randomly without clear and specific maps.